NEW YORK — Bon Appétit magazine has announced the 50 finalists for The Hot 10: America’s Best New Restaurants 2017. This year’s winners of the annual list will be revealed in the September issue and on bonappetit.com on August 15.
Making the list from the NY area are acclaimed LeCoucou in Manhattan and three Brooklyn restaurants: Aska, Hart’s and Olmsted.
(Photo above: Kitchen with a view at Le Coucou in New York City (photo by Alex Lau for Bon Appétit)
“These are the tastiest, most exciting places we ate at over the last 12 months,” says deputy editor Andrew Knowlton. He and special projects editor Julia Kramer traveled 35,000 miles, eating more than 1,000 meals in 40 U.S. cities and small towns in search of the country’s best. The list of 50 finalists is now available at bonappetit.com/top50.
“From a whole-hog BBQ behemoth to a new-school Jewish deli to a formal brasserie resurrecting the classics, these are the restaurants that blew us away,” says Knowlton.
Along the way, Bon Appétit uncovered a new wave of restaurant trends, including the rise of family-owned businesses, the celebration of second-generation immigrant cooking culture, and the boom in creative sandwich shops. “Going out to eat doesn’t have to mean a fine-dining experience,” says Kramer. “Chefs are making a wider range of foods more accessible to more people, and we’re grateful to see America expand her palate.”
Bon Appétit has published its picks for America’s Best New Restaurants since 1993. No other publication dedicates the time, research, and calorie count that Bon Appétit puts into its list. This year, bonappetit.com is bringing the journey across America to life through recipes, interactive features, and exclusive video content.
Here are the top 50 finalists for Best New Restaurants of 2017.
- Afuri – Portland, OR
- Alma – Minneapolis, MN
- Annette – Aurora, CO
- Aska – Brooklyn, NY
- Bar Normandy – Charleston, SC
- Bastion – Nashville, TN
- Brewery Bhavana – Raleigh, NC
- Bucktown – Providence, RI
- Dame – Portland, OR
- Denver Central Market – Denver, CO
- Destroyer – Los Angeles, CA
- Elske – Chicago, IL
- Giant – Chicago, IL
- Güero – Portland, OR
- Hart’s – Brooklyn, NY
- Henrietta Red – Nashville, TN
- Himitsu – Washington, D.C.
- June’s All Day – Austin, TX
- Kemuri – Austin, TX
- Kismet – Los Angeles, CA
- Le Coucou – New York, NY
- Little Jack’s Tavern – Charleston, SC
- Mamaleh’s – Cambridge, MA
- Marjie’s Grill – New Orleans, LA
- Marmite – Seattle, WA
- Martin’s BBQ – Nashville, TN
- Mean Sandwich – Seattle, WA
- Mi Tocaya Antojería – Chicago, IL
- Mister Jiu’s – San Francisco, CA
- Nina June – Rockport, ME
- Nixta – St. Louis, MO
- Olmsted – Brooklyn, NY
- P.Y.T. – Los Angeles, CA
- Palizzi Social Club – Philadelphia, PA
- Pineapple & Pearls – Washington, D.C.
- Red Hog – Louisville, KY
- Res Ipsa – Philadelphia, PA
- Rodney Scott’s BBQ – Charleston, SC
- Saint Leo – Oxford, MS
- Shibumi – Los Angeles, CA
- Single Thread – Healdsburg, CA
- Smyth and The Loyalist – Chicago, IL
- Spring – Marietta, GA
- Tartine Manufactory – San Francisco, CA
- The Antler Room – Kansas City, MO
- The Purple House – North Yarmouth, ME
- Timber Pizza Company – Washington, D.C.
- Turkey and the Wolf – New Orleans, LA
- Tusk – Portland, OR
- Vicia – St. Louis, MO