After a nearly two-year absence, Toys”R”Us announced that it is returning to Times Square with a holiday store in response to customer demand. The company will open a temporary 35,000 square-foot store located at 1466 Broadway (at the corner of 42nd Street and Broadway) in the historic Knickerbocker Building. Scheduled to open in August, the store will provide kids and families a one-stop toy shopping experience – complete with a dedicated play area – just in time for the holiday season.
The nation’s largest toy retailer used to have a 110,000 square-foot flagship store up the street at 1514 Broadway but it closed at the end of 2015 due to high rents. The old store featured an indoor ferris wheel but the smaller holiday store will feature an animated dinosaur.
“The Times Square holiday shop reunites our brand with an iconic New York destination which we are thrilled about,” said Dave Brandon, Chairman & CEO of Toys”R”Us, Inc. “More importantly, the store offers customers a host of products tailored to the needs of city dwellers and visitors – all in interest of bringing play to kids and families around the world!”
The three-level store in Times Square will have one main entrance on Broadway and include:
- Level One: Upon entering the store, customers will be greeted with kid-favorite shop-in-shops that they have come to expect from Toys”R”Us, including Movie HQ (products from this fall’s biggest blockbusters), Hot and New (the hottest holiday toys), Star Wars, and Marvel, along with must-have New York City memorabilia. Additionally, Level One will host a select assortment of electronic and entertainment items such as FUJIFILM INSTAX cameras, Nintendo Switch, and top software launches.
- Lower Level: Here shoppers will find a wide variety of R/C, Hot Wheels, and action figures, as well as city-friendly modes of transportation such as bikes and scooters.
- Level Two: In addition to the feature shops on Level One, here customers will find dedicated LEGO and NERF shops, and a full assortment of traditional toys across a range of categories, including preschool, games, dolls, learning, collectibles, and arts and crafts.
- Play Space: Also on Level Two, kids will have the opportunity to do what they love most – play. This dedicated space will allow kids to play with products out-of-the-box and experience toy demos, truly bringing the toy box to life.
- Interactive Elements: In a nod to the company’s former Times Square location, a scaled-down animatronic dinosaur will also live on the second level. Customers will come to find other interactive and life-size toy displays across the three-level space throughout the holiday season.
The company’s Buy Online, Pick Up In-Store service will be available at this location, providing Manhattan’s Toys”R”Us customers with an easy way to pick up thousands of items in under an hour. Its Layaway service will also be offered, giving city shoppers the opportunity to stretch their budgets, secure must-have toys early or keep big gift purchases hidden.*
Landlord representation was provided by Brittany H. Bragg of Crown Retail Services, and Peter Ripka of Ripco Real Estate was the broker representation for Crown Retail Services.